SCREEN FOR ATTRIBUTES, NOT RESUMES
One way to make hiring more accurate (and fair) is to hire based on attributes, not resumes.
Why is hiring based on resumes less accurate?
1) 50-85% of resumes contain lies/fibs.
2) Resumes are often less about the person and more about the person's network/environment.
The person whose Dad donated to Harvard or whose friend got her that job, etc.
3) The content in resumes is generally not predictive of job success:
-PRIOR WORK EXPERIENCE accounts for just 3% of job performance
-ACADEMIC PERFORMANCE accounts for just 4%
Why is hiring based on attributes more accurate?
1) Unlike resumes, attributes do represent who someone is.
2) Attributes are more measurable*
*There is a FINITE # of attributes a candidate needs to be successful in a job vs. an INFINITE # of possible work / academic backgrounds a candidate might have.
Comparing candidates isn't possible using resumes; using attributes, it is.
Let's stop over-emphasizing resumes and screen for attributes instead.